In January of 2011, I signed up with Intelius to look up a phone number for me for the fee of $0.99. I understood that with it, I would have to sign up for a free trial membership with the company but could cancel prior to free trial ending.

I found the service to not be helpful but figured that for $0.99, there's not much I could really expect. Shortly after, I canceled the membership that I was OBLIGATED to sign up for. I just realized today that I had still been charged $19.95 ever since then. I should have reviewed all the charges on my statement sooner but I've never experienced this type of unethical practice before.

When I contacted Itelius about these unauthorized charges, they stated that I didn't completely cancel my account as I was misled to believe. Intelius purposely manipulates customers by signing them up for TWO memberships. So while I assumed I canceled my account with them, they happily charged me for something I did not want or ask for. I am outraged that they are able to continue to cheat people out of their hard earned money.

I spoke with Manual and then his supervisor Kim (#8738) and while they repeated their scripted apology, stated that they could only give me a refund for three months. They know that they are wrong but are only willing to resolve 30% of their crimes

Comments

I got burned with the exact same scam. American Express reversed all the charges, even though I didn't catch it for several months.

Thank you Amex! Stay away from Intelius.

I have used Intelius before

without the add-on.

BUT now with what I'm seeing, doubts many doubts.

i have been charged for three months of services that i no longer use or requested. I would like my account reimbursed as soon as possible. I am on a limited income and cannot afford this service

Intelius_Customer_Support

It sounds like you have also accepted the People Search offer that is advertised on the Intelius website after the purchase process.

If you still need assistance with your account please visit the contact us page on the Intelius website for a variety of options to contact Customer Support.

www.intelius.com/emailcontact.php