6.9K views

I did a background check with Intelius and they gave me a subscription for $19.95/mo for identity protection! A service I never asked for, never authorized!!!

THEY ARE STEALING from consumers! Then they make you wait 20 minutes on hold so they hope you hang up! I am disgusted! I am calling the better biz bureau!

How can someone charge you for a service never purchased/authorized, etc... Please beware of these scams and the only reason i chose them was because they were the first to come up under search engines.

I hope they get what is coming to them.

Location: Boca Raton, Florida

Comments

I too was charged for service that I didn't ask for or want. When I called to protest I got to speak with someone in a far away land with a thick accent.

Eventually I got the charge dropped. Intelius has been added to my NFG list.

Be sure to put out this information to everyone you can. Scams like this comes for ***.

We apologize for any confusion arising from the use of our service and would like the opportunity to assist you.

Intelius offers a variety of services during the purchase process. All of our services are non-contractual so there is no obligation to continue using the service.

If you still need assistance with your account, please visit the contact us page on the Intelius website for a variety of options to contact Customer Support.

www.intelius.com/emailcontact.php

We value your feedback and look forward to hearing from you.

I paid for one search on intelius.com for $1, not for a month subscription to some *** for $19.95 per month!!! Thankfully I was able to get my money back by yelling at the Indian call center women on the phone and threatening to call the BBB. STAY AWAY FROM intellius.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@PissedConsumer587517

Been using this company on & off for 20 yrs. All you had to do was call them and say you didn't want the subscription.

Somewhere along the way you hit the wrong button. :grin

@PissedConsumer591358

I disagree. The website is 'purposely' deceptive! This company is the worst for refunds and/or making you wait for a refund.

Do you work for them?

:sigh

@PissedConsumer591358

Surely you must be an employee of this fraud of a company. Either that or you are a blooming ***.

@PissedConsumer587517

I suggest to call them? then you have to spare a full working day waiting!

the website has not unsubscribe button! you have to call and no one pick up the phone

Intelius has been charging me for unauthorized [and un-requested] services since June 2012. Please read the following.

I authorized a $0.95 charge for one background charge on 06/04/12. Intelius then made unauthorized charges of $19.95 on 06/11/12, 07/11/12, 08/13/12, 09/10/12, and 10/09/12 - a total of $9.75 in UNAUTHORIZED CHARGES. I contacted Intelius on 10/24/12 and AFTER THREATENING to contact the Washington State Attorney General's office, the Washington State Better Business Bureau and the Federal Trade Commission and file a formal complain for fraud. The Intelius representative "Conan", [extension 8672] quickly agreed to refund the UNAPPROVED & UN-REQUESTED CHARGES.

Please read the following:

On September 30, 2009, before the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, a class action lawsuit was filed alleging that Intelius automatically enrolled California consumers into programs of its partner, Adaptive Marketing, without permission.[21] The complaint showed evidence as to how the defendants allegedly automatically charged California consumers' credit cards for "memberships" and intentionally frustrated the victims' abilities to dispute the charges.[22]

On October 19, 2009, in the Federal Court in Seattle, Intelius was accused of violating Washington's Consumer Protection Act. This lawsuit stated that Intelius engaged in misleading messages on its website. Such conduct allegedly led consumers to unknowingly receive charges from Intelius' partner, Adaptive Marketing. The suit, filed by Washington resident Bruce Keithly and Ohio residents Donovon Lee and Edith Cramer, claimed that after purchasing background reports through Intelius the plaintiffs were each charged a $19.95 monthly fee for subscription services which were not requested. While Intelius has publicly stated a disassociation with Adaptive Marketing, the outcome of this lawsuit is still pending.

In early 2008, Intelius came under scrutiny for providing access to private cellular phone numbers culled from a variety of sources.In response, Verizon threatened a lawsuit over posting consumer phone numbers without consent. On February 1, 2008, the cellular phone directory was removed from the company website.

Washington State Attorney General and the Better Business Bureau received over 900 complaints about Intelius as of March 2009. Most complaints involved the practice of "post-transaction marketing." Partly due to concerns about Intelius, Washington Attorney General Rob McKenna requested legislation aimed at stopping what he calls "deceptive" Internet marketing.

On August 10, 2010, Washington settled with Intelius for $1.3 million dollars and any Washington consumers affected by post-transaction marketing will be contacted regarding refunds.

It appears that Intelius practices deceptive Internet marketing.

If you have been ripped off by Intelius, consider contacting them at 877-974-****. If they do not refund your money, consider contacting Washington State Attorney General's office, the Washington State Better Business Bureau and the Federal Trade Commission. They will continue to rip people off unless you take action.

Same thing happened to me was charged 19.95 for a service i NEVER authorized (for 2 months)...called the number and they immediately cancelled my ""subscription"" sent me emails on its status and DID refund me my $39.90 back...very pleased...but will NEVER use that site EVER AGAIN!! stay away!!

Scam. This is how they do it: Googe Search your name.

Intellus website indicates there are reports about you, so you buy it for $39.95 ($19.95 membership). You download your report only to find it doesn't exist. You call Customer Service in India to cancel and get refund. They will cancel membership but not the $10 for the phony report.

They hung up on me.

I should have checked this website first, now out $10.00. This should be illegal in all sense.

#552007

I was just grocery shopping with my cousin (it was 2:47 a.m.) and I received an alert on my cell phone saying (in the exact way the text message appears)...(Authorization) Authorization for $55.65 at INT*INTELIUS.COM/SB 877-974-**** WAUS. Available balance: $o.00I didn't know who the authorization had come from by reading this message, not to mention my credit card is a prepaid credit card in which I purchased less than a month ago to use to purchase college textbooks online...So when I returned home, I googled the INT*INTELIUS.COM/SB 877-974-**** information on this text message and it brought me to Intelius website.

I have never heard of this site before and I really am shocked to find out that authorizations are being made with my BRAND NEW and not to mention PRE-PAID CREDIT/DEBIT card without my prior approval/consent and worst of all not to my knowledge. Because of this horrible scam, I now have less the $5.00 in my account and cannot get the college textbooks that I need for my classes at school because the shipment didn't process due to my account not having enough to complete the transaction. Now I will not be receiving my textbooks due to and no thanks to this company that seems to have many many issues with this same kind of situation. I don't know what to do now, I do know that as soon as the office hours of the number I was texted by, I will be calling them and I will be on the phone with them all day long if I have to.

I am shocked right now and I do not know what to say because I'm honestly at a loss for words .

This company needs to be punished (if the company is even real) I would say more like shut down verses just being punished. I will be emailing and calling the better business tomorrow.

@PissedConsumer552007

Intellius: Answer, reaD THE BOOK "bLANK Paycheck" and you'll have answers (came out in 1990's but you can find it.......

@PissedConsumer579012

Forum spam! The comment is a veiled ad for some band and/or a book about it. Forum spammer you are! Degrading the quality and usefulness of this Forum with your childish, selfish, and *** actions.

Do you believe that adult persons of sound mind would support any band or business that lowered itself to using Forum spam to advertise? You waste our time. You waste the Bandwidth of the 'net. You discredit yourself and the business you attempt to advertise.

I urge you to develop maturity, integrity, common-sense, self-esteem, and some real skills using Grammar, Style, Spell-check, and Keyboard.

I just got off the phone with them. Same thing happened to me.

Just call and be firm about your refund. They will remove it.

They don't make it clear that you are getting a 7 day free trial and then they charge you.

javascript:ac_smilie(':p')javascript:ac_smilie(':zzz')javascript:ac_smilie(':eek')javascript:ac_smilie(':x')

I just used it for the first time last night to do a background check for doone that was supposed to be one time use for .95 fee only to find they charged my accouny to the point of over draft,surprise my brother n law is a federal attourney, I. am coming after you theiving badtards!!!! :x

This people should be put jail for stealing money from so many people including me. I want my $19.95 back.

can someone please tell me how to get back my money? They charged me the $19.95 tonight. Is there anyway I can get it back?

:) 1-87*-***-**** i canceled them