I used Intelius for a phone number search. I had a 7 day trial and I cancelled within that timeframe.

I have the email that shows I cancelled it. My credit card was charged $19.95 for 3 months afterwards. When I contacted them today I'm told I had entered my email address into something at the end of the screen which signed me up for this service. How convenient that she had this info...apparently it is quite hidden at the bottom of the screen.

Most people probably don't realize they did it. I will also be reporting this to the BBB and Atty Genl's office.

Comments

Instead of using these out dated people searches and databases use a Private Investigator that can help you instead way cheaper!!

bizgirl

Well thank you customer service person from Intelius for an explanation that is obviously pre-scripted. That is exactly what I was told when I called to question the charges.

It's interesting how I was told I apparently put my initials in a box somewhere way down at the bottom of a page. In fact, they seemed (apparently) to have a copy right in front of them of the screen as well as how long I was on that page. I'm sure they do this to try and protect themselves. Forget that they have misled the consumer to think they are putting their initials to end their membership...not add on another one.

You don't want me to call your 800 number right about now...because I'd tell you what you can do with your response.

BTW, anyone that hasn't already done so, you need to contact your bank and file a fraud case on whatever charges you were charged. Hopefully you will at least get your money back. Don't just sit back and figure the company said I did this so I guess I'll suck it up and pay for it. Too many of these complaints are out there for it to be a coincidence.

There are hundreds of complaints online against PeopleLookup and Intellus because of their fraudulent business practices. This has been going on for years, and I don't understand why they have not been cited and fined and jailed by now. They claim on their websites that you may discontinue your "membership" at anytime for any reason. But to do that is impossible. They give you dead end phone numbers and internet addresses. People who have ordered a one time lookup for anywhere from $1.95 to $4.99 are automatically sighed up for their more expensive membership. These range from $19.95 to $49.95. And sometimes more fees are added on without your premission. One person's cost him $70. No matter what you do on their websites, you'll find they are charging you a lot more than what you agreed to and signed up for.

You can dispute the charges with your bank, but since Intellus/peoplelookup tell B of A and other banks that these are onetime charges, no re-occuring charges. But the charges are made every month. So you have to dispute them every month. The only way to get them stopped is to ask for a new credit card and block the old one. Then dispute the charges they have made.

I ordered a one time email address for $4.99 which turned out to be fraudulent. Then I started getting the $19.99 charge every month for a membership that I did not sign up for.

So spread the word. If anyone would like to start a class action suit against this company, I'd be more than happen to join it.

Dotty McMillan

Riverside, CA

Intelius_Customer_Support

It sounds like you have also accepted the People Search offer that is advertised on the Intelius website. If you no longer wish to be enrolled in either subscription service, please call 888-445-2727 Monday – Friday 4:30am – 10:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you.

Same happended to me. I cancelled my order (I think I didn't even placed) and got a refund of $19.95.

But they turned around and charged me $19.95 again for 3 months. They are worse than a thief and need to be stopped.

Same happened to me, they hit me at 19.95 for two months before I caught it. I could not even access my account with them until I updated my credit card info.

So getting a reverse phone look up cost me over 40.00 which never even gave me the info to begin with. Very sneaky and deceiving

They did the same to me! I canceled the same day however apparently didn't get everything cancelled.