Intelius has published an incorrect report about me available on the first page of a Google search for my name with a picture which is not me and other personal information and they refuse to take it down unless I provide them with even more personal information for their database including a driver's license or a passport. They also refused to give me a telephone number for management or legal department so I could try to correct this situation.

How is this company allowed to operate like this?

Is it really safe to give them a driver's license or a passport? Will they just turn around and publish that too?

Comments

MY ALLIAS HAS NEVER BEEN

JAMES F SCHNEIDER ....

WHERE IN THE WORD DID YOU PICK THAT UP.

EVERYONE THINKS YOUR COMPANY IS A SCAM WITH A BUNCH OF WRONG INFORMATION.

WITH YOU MESSING UP MY NAME IT APPEARS THEY MAY BE CORRECT.

GET THIS CORRECTED.

Intelius is a scam, is a dishonest horrible service with inaccurate data. Do not use Intelius. Google search engine should remove Intelius.

Intelius has published incorrect information about me from a friendster profile that was hacked and then deleted. I have sent 5 requests that they remove it which they have received. Nevertheless, Intelius allows this information to remain on google and refuses to change it.

Intelius_Customer_Support

How to Remove your Information from the Intelius Public Records Databases

Public records are available from the official public records custodian or repository to anyone who requests them. In order for any database of public records to be useful, the databases must contain all of the information in the public records offices. If you have a compelling privacy or security issue, you may wish to contact the official custodians of those public records that contain sensitive information about you, such as your county's land records office, to determine how to remove your information from the public record. (The process of having public records sealed typically requires a court order.) This process will ensure that the information is not available to the public, to us, or to any other public records information provider.

In addition to public records, personal information may be publicly or commercially available. Publicly available information consists of online and offline information that is generally available but is not maintained by a government agency, such as names, addresses and telephone numbers of individuals and businesses, professional licensing and trade organization information, press releases and newspaper articles and content from blogs or social networking sites. Commercial records consist of information that is maintained by enterprises and is available for purchase, such as marketing and telemarketing lists, phone connect and disconnect information, and business profile data.

As a courtesy we allow you to opt out your personal information from our Website. What this means is that your name as it appears in a particular record and the associated identifying information such as your address and phone number will be suppressed if you request this in the manner described below. However, please note that any time your identifying information appears in a public record or in a publicly or commercially available manner, in a way that is different from the particular record you opted out, it will again appear on our Website. For example, if your address or area code changes, your new information -- including other associated identifying information -- will again appear unless you opt out the new record. Similarly, if the way in which your name or address appears in a record differs from a record you opted out (e.g., "Michael" instead of "Mike," or "1212 Second AVE NE" instead of "1212-2nd Avenue Northeast"), we may include the differing record. In addition to this Website, there are many other companies offering public records search services, and your request that we opt out your information from this Website will not prevent your information from appearing on these other services.

In order for us to suppress or opt out your personal information from appearing on our Website, we need to verify your identity. To do this, we require faxed proof of identity. Proof of identity can be a state issued ID card or driver's license. If you are faxing a copy of your driver's license, cross out the photo and the driver's license number. We only need to see the name, address and date of birth. We will only use this information to process your opt out request. Please fax to 425-974-6194 and allow 4 to 6 weeks to process your request. We will only process opt out requests received by fax and no request will be processed without complete information (i.e., name, address and date of birth). Requests for opt out will not be processed over the phone or via email.

file a complaint with the attorney general in your state.

Same here. I sent them all the information they requested and also mailed it to them. Their excuse was "maybe we could not read the fax". How they get you is they do not confirm getting the fax but I also sent them a certified letter. The wrong information about me was suppose to be deleted a year and now they want me to resend it again and wait 4-6 weeks.

No way. They violated a court order and I just filed a complaint with the Washington State Attorney General. I have also contacted my attorney and I kept all the proof that they received the opt out and court ordered non release a year ago.

The supervisor refused to speak to me so maybe now when I file the lawsuit, they might.

skiphay

Contact your state Attorney General and the Washington State Attorney General and file a complaint