I paid $49.95 for a "Background Report" with a $27.90 "add-on" of "Current Phone and Address Check, Federal & Nationwide County Criminal Check" for a total of $77.85 My first yellow flags were a bait and switch offer with hidden attempts at upselling. For instance, the $49.95 report was initially offered for $39.95 but the fine print adds in a $29.95/month membership. When I opted not to get the offer with the hidden monthly membership fee they attempted to steer me into another fee by asking for my e-mail address (which I'd already provided during registration). Only this time the fine print says by adding your e-mail address it counts as an electronic signature for more charges. They make the e-mail field prominent and and the opt out button a low contrast color to catch visitors off guard into thinking it's benign. Its a graphic design trick called hierarchial dominance.

I purchased the reports and got nothing but a list of addresses and a phone number, which I think I could have gotten with a $6.95 offer on the home page. The background check and "nationwide criminal check" showed nothing even though I know this individual has served jail sentences and I believe a prison sentence as well. The marriages and divorces section showed nothing even though I know the individual divorced MY OWN FAMILY MEMBER. Intelius's nationwide search map shows about ten states that don't even participate in online records, but you don't get to see that until AFTER your purchase. Additionally, a simple Google search brought up multiple lawsuits the person has been in. That's right, Intelius won't even find information you can find by Googling the person's name for free.

When I brought up these multiple discrepancies to a customer service rep in an attempt to get a refund I was told "individuals can have certain records removed"..."a person cannot have a marriage or divorce removed so I can't explain that"..."we can't offer a refund, all purchases are final, but we can credit your account a free search." I pointed out I've never needed to search for anyone before, and don't anticipate needing to search for anyone right now, and don't have any faith in Intelius's ability to provide information now anyway.

I wish I would have searched online reviews of Intelius beforehand. I'm requesting that my credit card company cancel the transaction but not holding my breath.

Review about: Intelius Background Check.

Reason of review: Not as described.

Comments