Intellus charged $19.95 extra

I bought information for $.95 and got charged that amount and $19.95 for Identity Protect. I didn't see that one coming. I cancelled, but they would not refund the $19.95. They are deceiving! I sent an email as soon as the money was taken from my account, and I was told, when I called them, that they never received an email from me. I will never use them again! It should be that people have a choice as to whether they want Identity Protect, If you don't know about the charges, they will take the money out every month.

We apologize for any confusion arising from the use of our service and would like the opportunity to assist you.

Intelius offers a variety of promotions during the checkout process. The Identity Protection Membership was activated through the acceptance of discounted pricing for the report. The discounted price selection describes the activation of the Identity Protection Membership, which is initially a seven day free trial. All of our services are non-contractual so there is no obligation to continue using the service.

If you still need assistance with your account, please visit the contact us page on the Intelius website for a variety of options to contact Customer Support.

www.intelius.com/emailcontact.php

We value your feedback and look forward to hearing from you.

i posted a complaint on Pissed consumer about the people search scam,going on by Intelius and Experian and if you notice they pretty much match each other word for word,so you know they arent making it up! but watch and they will all return with a new complaint, if they do give your money back and refund it to your account,you better suck it out quick and close your account because surprise number 2, THEY WILL SUCK IT RIGHT BACK OUT AGAIN!

what a bunch of crooks,its the double whammy scam game all over again. and ive heard complaints that they will keep taking it out over and over untill you close your account and start another one somewhere else.these people are experts at stealing your money and they are the ones you need to be protected from, i will never give my account number again on the internet,these are the only ones who have ripped me off, and they say they will protect you from it!

The website only offers one report for 95 cents. Right under where it says at to cart it says "Free ID Protect Trail" and has a link that says "Learn More" if you click on the link it shows terms and conditions that say if you don't cancel the trail it's 19.95 a month.

Why is it that people don't listen to their mothers when they say nothing is free? This is one of the most common marketing tactics out there. Show you something you want, offer you a special for it. The service it's self is actually a good service. During the 7 days you can get a free Experian credit score and add your self to various opt out programs for junk mail but if you cancel it during the 7 days you shouldn't be charged more.

I really feel that Americans are spoiled are lack any idea of personal responsiblity.

Both of the marketing tactics used on the Intelius website are easy to avoid by remembering two rules of online buying.

1. Free is never Free.

2. If they are asking you to type in info they already have and you are logged in they want a signature. (ie the email address, such as with the People Search Membership ad)

#141935

Wow, Bob, and Sonny obviously work for intelius. They DO sneak the charge in as stated on BBB's website. Bob....if you love the company soooo much why are you on a "whiner" site reading about it?

hay wow and sonny and wilber and bubba,calling people dumb and idiots,I can tell you guys are rocket scienticed,if you realy think intellus isnt cheating poeple,I'll sell you *** some ocean front property in kansas,and when you get there just follow the yellow brick road.

I've used Intelius for years and will continue to do so.

They put in plain view, on the web page where you sign up for a search. The option to decline that ID protection service is very prominent and very easy to understand, just uncheck the *** box is all you have to do.

Avoiding the $19.95 charge is as easy as reading the page before your rush in and accept everything without looking.

Crying about on some whiner site can't save you from your own stupidity.

Same thing with me. I bought a cell phone number check and ended up with the 19.95 credit protection plan.

They sneek it in somewhere. Call (888)445-**** and get it reversed.

If you research a tenant with a birthdaye and social, all information should be specific to the person backround checked, not a bunch of irrelevant info you can find for free.

It's not a scam, you idiots - they *tell you* when you go for the cheaper price that it's with a free trial of another service- the ID protection. When the free trial expires you are charged the $19 for the service *you signed up for*

If they won't cancel the service when you ask them, then that's another issue (although you'd still have to pay what's already gone from your account because you agreed to do that when you signed up for the trial), but you not bothering to read what you're signing up for is your problem, not theirs. :roll

They used to be reliable. I will use

another site for my research.

View more comments (16)
Millerton, Pennsylvania

Unauthorized charges to my credit card.

After using Intelius for a phone lookup which was supposed to cost 95 cents, next month a charge for $19.95 showed up on my credit card bill. I did not challenge this, but when it showed up again next month, I called the company. They told me I had agreed to this but did go ahead and cancel my "agreement". I could not get a refund. Then, I filed a consumer complaint with my state (MO.) attorney. I had a reply from his office shortly and in about 3 weeks, Intelius did refund $39.90. I advise anyone who has been scammed by this company to contact their state attorney and file a complaint.

Intelius offers a variety of promotions during the checkout process. It sounds like the Identity Protection Membership was activated through the acceptance of discounted pricing for the report. The discounted price selection describes the activation of the Identity Protection Membership, which is initially a seven day free trial. All of our services are non-contractual so there is no obligation to continue using the service.

www.intelius.com/emailcontact.php

We value your feedback and look forward to hearing from you.

BE CAREFUL AND WATCH FOR AND DONT BE SURPRISED IF THEY SUCK IT RIGHT BACK OUT AGAIN!

OH YEA! WELL I SEE THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO THINK THESE PEOPLE "INTELIUS" "EXPERIAN" OWNERS AND MASTERMINDS OF THE "PEOPLE SEARCH SUPER RIPOFF"DOUBLE WHAMMY SCAM" ARE JUST WONDERFUL PEOPLE,WELL EITHER THESE PEOPLE ARE PART OF IT OR EMPLOYEES OR STOCK HOLDERS,OR JUST PLAIN IGNORANT,BECAUSE AFTER THEY AGREED THEY SCREWED ME AND OVERCHARGED ME AND DOUBLE CHARGED ME AND REFUNDED THE MONEY TO MY ACCOUNT,{OBVIOUSLY TO CALM THE HEAT OR PRESSURE FOR A MOMENT} THEY WENT RIGHT BACK IN WHILE NO ONE WAS LOOKING AND SUCKED IT RIGHT BACK OUT AGAIN, NOW LETS HEAR THESE PRO INTELIUS/EXPERIAN *** EXPLAIN THIS! I CANT WAIT TO HEAR IT!

View more comments (2)
Poplar Bluff, Missouri

I do not want their service, can not reach by phone

Intelius will not honor my request to discontinue my subscription..need help from a legal councellor to do ths..help is needed now !!! New York State resident (I am) Intelius keeps subscribing me without my consent on my credit card to do the new subscription. Have continued to try to reach them via phone, can not get thru to them. After 5 days, I will try to call them again & again if need be. Any positive suggestions to resolve this are greatly appreciated... as soon as possible . Now would be better than later email help to me at Boopatoo@***.com

call your credit card co.NOW!!.They will help you.

Depew, New York

Intelius.com ripoff

I ordered one search from these people and paid $1.95 for it,with my bank card.They then charged me $19.95 one week later for credit checking.I asked my bank not to pay , but if you have ordered something from them before ,too bad.this is a scam ,plain and simple.do not use these people ,you will be sorry and they will NOT return or refund.i did contact them through their site and told them it was a scam.I received no answer.And now when you try to use the site ,you still have to pay.SCAM

you show jane l smallin, aged 70 as having a relative named shoura, this is INCORRECT, her only relative s are john smallin and richard smallin, both in ny. please correct this, thanks :?

:( YOU HAVE STOLE MONEY

FROM MY CHECKING ACOUNT

I AM PRESSING FEDERAL CHARGES FOR INTERNET THIEFT

Pasadena, Texas

Intelius is a bogus website

There is no customer service center. No one answers any phone #s. I believe they are a hacking site who are able to retrieve banking information. I've never been on this site or subscribed to this site, and they started taking money from my checking acct. Beware- This is a scam site Scam!! Call your bank right away Report to as many blogs and email to as many people you know. The better business bureau will do nothing for you I repeat this is a scamming hacking web site- Beware They are not investigating and should be investigated Veri Sign Secure is BS too
Mount Clemens, Michigan

Intelius big scammer, won't answer phone

I went on line to check a phone number on one person and the site I thought I used charged me my 99 cents and then cancelled my subscription. All of a sudden I began receiving charges from Intelius. Tried several times calling them and was on hold one time for 50 minutes before I gave up. They never answer their phone. When I call on the selection list they give me I use the one the states all other calls because the other ones just don't apply to me. It is so frustrating as I am a senion citizen and altho I do understand things I hate being treated they way they have treated me.
Washington, District Of Columbia

Unauthorized Subscripion

I agreed to pay $1.95 one time for an email address of an old friend. The address that I got had not been in effect for at least 10 years. Although I complained immediately thereafter, they still charged me the $1.95. A couple of weeks later, I noticed a $19.95 debit for a subscription for Identity Theft Protection that I did not sign up for. I have sent them 3 emails about a refund and not gotten any response. I am getting ready to call "customer service" with a lot of verbal taking place. Seems to me that the only identity theft protection I need is from Intelius!

I also was scammed by Intellius from whom I ordered a background search. The next month a charge for 19.95 showed up on the bill for AP9 Valuemax.

I thought that I had simply ordered something and then forgot. But it appeared again the next month. I called Valuemax who said that by clicking a banner on Intellius it had authorized the Valuemax charge.

I asked for documentation that I had done so, but Valuemax said that they had none. I immediately terminated the service, but I believe that Intellius illegally shared the charge information and authorized the charges--looks like lots of others are having the same problems.

The same thing happened to me; a one-time $1.95 look-up ended up in them charging me $19.95 for a service for another month that I don't even have access to. I called them and they said they would cancel the subscription to the so-called "Identity Theft Protection" I unknowingly signed up for.

If they do it again, I'm sending a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission and any other regulating agengy that has clout. I'd advise others to do the same.

Mobile, Alabama

Intelius unauthorized charges

I used Intelius to confirm addresses - after the first month there were 2 unauthorized charges by ValueMax for $19.95 and another for $19.95 from ProtectionPlus. I called the 800 # for ValueMax and had them cancel one month - had to talk to a supervisor to cancel the first month. They are a rip-off and part of Intelius - they said that when we used Intelius we signed up for a free 7 day membership and if we did not cancel after 7 days we got the $19.95/month charges. This is a serious illegal activity. I would be glad to be involved in any class-action suit against this dishonest business practice. Do not use Intelius!

I work at a class action lawfirm and we specialize in consumer frauds. We are investigating Intelius for a potential class action lawsuit.

I'd like to hear more about your experience with Intelius. Please contact me abby1100ny@***.com

yeah, look out for them, total scam, will sell you cc # around.....turn them in

yeah, look out for them, total scam, will sell you cc # around.....turn them in

INTELIUS IS A REAL SCAM COMPANY who will take evey dime from the registered customers. It will start with minimum sum landing up paying big bucks for info U already know.

Something has got to be done about all these scams to get MONEY FROM THE PIBLIC!! what mroe evidence do u need to stop this ROT??

Alos why is it they can keep your money & NO REFUND?? That is TANTAMOUNT TO DAYLIGHT ROBBERY!!

View more comments (3)
Portland, Oregon
Loss

Intelius for the not-Intelius

I like many others are not obviously smart enough to see a scam coming my way; I simply wanted to look up a co-workers birthday and I got charged by Intelius 19.95 for two months when I thought it was a one time charge; furthermore, my card information was shared with a company called "Value Max" and they also charged me. I have not been able to reach Intelius and send two emails cancelling. I am citing all chages as "stolen" to my card going forward. Fair is fair. That membership better be over and done with or it is Better Business Bureau next . . .
Washington, District Of Columbia

Intelius a scam, wrong info, won't fix, no refund.

I bought a $49.95 report on myself from Intelius. They did not produce records they claimed would be in the report and the info was incorrect. The info was wrong. They had me living in states I had never visited. Vital true info was missing. They listed relatives I...

I searched myself on Intelius only to find I am related to so many people I do not know. I wrote to Intelius asking them to disclose the relationship of these people to me; as my parents did let me know of these people and they seem to have better knowledge than my parents.

This is their response….

"Hello Millicen., Thank you for contacting Customer Support! Unfortunately, we are unable to provide the exact source of the public record. Intelius is only an aggregator of public records. Local, state and federal agencies make updates to public records.

You would need to contact them directly to see if they can provide the source of this public record information. The information can come from marketing surveys, land deeds, catalog purchases, voter registrations, lawsuit filings, court records, magazine subscriptions, and address changes.

Thank you, Noah Customer Support."

This Intelius is a fraud posting incorrect information. Because of this I’m flooded with junk mail for these individual I do not know.

View more comments
Frankton, Indiana

Gave my credit card number to another company

Intelius gave my credit card number to another company ValueMax and they have been charging my card every month for services that I did not sign up for or want. I had never even heard of ValueMax until they showed up on my credit card statement when I contacted ValueMax they told me they got my Info From a partner company Intelius. They each have scammed me for $20.00 a month for the last 2 months Im out $80.00 for nothing. I did use Intelius one time to find a highschool buddy and now they are charging my card every month for a subscription I did not want or sign up for. And the kicker is they are letting their partner company in on the action. THIS IS A MAJOR SCAM BEWARE!!!

Yes the fine ,fine print that so many didn't see as well ive been scammed

2nd company is 24protectplus that they gave my card # too. A company who claims 2 protect you is srewing you needs complaint 2 attorney general!!!

The fine print said nothing about valuemax at all, Let alone authorizing payments to them. So dont open your hole about something you know nothing about

Salt Lake City, Utah

Intellius, beware

intellius scam, ive only used it once and didnt really help at all, and untill now i couldnt get a refund instead they are continuously charging me every month after sending me an email that my account has been cancelled, scam,scam,scam,scam. i am very very pissed off with the way they operate, they should be banned. now i am trying to contact their phone but as expected no one is on the other end of the line. what a great service, they just want money out of you please beware, dont fall in their trap...beware..its a scam

Dear Brooke and Bert,

I would cancel out your current credit cards, and contact your credit card company immediately to report this. This is fraud.

You will get your money back, and any other fees that were assessed will be refunded as well, including interest charges. Then, when the *** try to charge your credit card again hence trying to steal from you they can't!!

The joke is on them. Please do this today.

Consider using a virtual credit card# for online purchases.

Citibank allows you to generate a ONE time credit card # and you can even put a $ limit on it.

ie., I used Intellius to do a one time search on a phone number and I put a $5 limit on the virtual # that I generated.

I have had now the same thing happen to me. Not only did they sign me up for a monthly service without my knowledge but they also double charged me.

I am working with my bank to ban thier charges. I am also still waiting on the phone after hunting the number down. Been waiting for 20 minutes.

THIS IS A HUGH SCAM AND THEY SHOULD BE PUNISHED! Due to thier charges on my account I have monthly bills that are not being paid.

View more comments (2)
Sydney, New South Wales
Loss

Bad phone numbers and unwanted memberships

I paid for a reverse phone number search through Intelius and got four peoples names with the number; non were the current person with the phone number. When I got my credit card bill in January is got charged $19.95 for some type of credit protection service and was also charged in December. I did not request this membership but somehow they have tied it to the phone number search. After calling and cancelling the membership they credited me for January but would not do anything about the charge in December. Wish there was some way to send them a terminal computer virus into their scam system. They are not in business to give you information but in business to scam you out of money. the lady could not even tell me what was included in the protection membership I was charged for.

My stepmother was in the same situation as you sadly to say! I helped by contacting intelius to report what happened...same scenario...they had no clue.

My stepmother had to cancel her credit card in order to stop any ongoing charges hit against her!

Beware of this very shady business...THEY ARE DECEITFUL AND OUT TO STEAL YOUR MONEY! The BBB should be contacted immediately.

Houston, Texas

Bull

On my second occasion I have requested info on an old friend and paid a fee. Both times I have recieved information with addresses that do not exsist and phone numbers that do not work. Need I say more ??? Joe On my second occasion I have requested info on an old friend and paid a fee. Both times I have recieved information with addresses that do not exsist and phone numbers that do not work. Need I say more ??? Joe On my second occasion I have requested info on an old friend and paid a fee. Both times I have recieved information with addresses that do not exsist and phone numbers that do not work. Need I say more ??? Joe
Deland, Florida

SCAM BY INTELIUS

The pretent to help you out, they have the information but they will charge usa monthly fee without you noticing/or accepting and if you decided to accept a disct amount you will be enroll and other things for additional charges of $19.95 per subscription and an additional $19.95 a month until you notice. Oh and neither company will give you your total refund only portion of it. I called them both and they have an attitude when answering the phones and they would not give you more information than "Ican only refund you one not both charges" they are the worst company I have dealt with derly r.
Boca Raton, Florida