Show reviews that mention
information credit card service money card people credit phone number scam
Filter review

Dont' waste your money

My experience is similar to other reviewers. I gave them a social security number, and they gave me a worthless report consisting mainly of people who happen to have a similar name to the person for whom I was searching. I filled out their email form to register a complaint, but never received a response. Another nice touch is that they will try to get you to sign up for some identity theft protection service, and they make this service look like it's part of the registration process. It's not. This was a complete waste of fifty dollars.

They refuse to remove wrong information. They just don't care.

It's frightening to know that law inforcement uses this. It should be illegal to use this.

They refuse to *** wrong information. They just don't care.

Yes, alot of the info was wrong and they didn't care. When I asked them were the info came from they refused to tell me because they told me they would lose my business.

#11959

Amen. I got a bait and switch.

The free search showed several hits; the one I paid for had ZERO hits.

No response to emails. What a rip off.

View more comments (3)
ID
#119821 Review #119821 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Stamford, Connecticut

Look for extra charges on your account because of Intelius.com

Regardless of what you use or buy on Intelius.com, they automatically sign you up for another program with AP9*PMIDENTITY.COM. That is the name that will show up on your account with a charge of 19.95. I didn't read anything that said I was okay with this and the only reason I caught it so fast was because I check my account online. I did call this company and they were quick to cancel the supposed membership I agreed to, saying it would take 2-3 business days to credit my account. The woman who helped me didn't seem to shocked by my complaint. Don't ever purchase anything with Intelius. Any company that is okay with this kind of business shouldn't be doing any business.

Log into your account. Go to the People Search Tab. At the top of the page you should see a block stating "My Intelius Services Summary"-Underneath click the link for your subscription. At the top of the next page where you see your login information. click "manage service". Then select Account Settings next to 'my subscriptions'

scroll halfway down and you see "MY SUBSCRIPTION" in bold. Click the Cancel link.

continue selecting the appropriate answer for why you are cancelling. do not take their offer of the discounted rate and be sure to answer No-Delete my Subscription.

This clearly states that you will not be refunded but will have access for the remainder of the billing period and will not be charged once the period ends.

You can also try calling and talking to someone to see if you can get a refund. I found it easier to just do it online than mess with the hassle called Intelius over the phone.

Though you were in the right I am sure they hung up on you because you were rude?

I HAVE RECENTLY NOTICED THAT YOU GUYS HAVEN'T EVEN LISTED A FREE 24-HOUR BLOCK OF TIME. BESIDES, I THOUGHT INTELIUS WAS FREE ANYWAY.

FREE ON ALL SEARCHES NOT JUST A NAME LOOK-UP!!!! YOU GUYS ADVERTIZE THAT YOUR A FREE PEOPLE SEARCH THEREFORE...THAT'S WHAT I EXPECT!!!!

I also got billed for a couple of AP9 companies after using intellius. I called these scam operators and got very angry and very rude.

I called them every four letter name in the book and threatened them with everything I could think of, including coming there in person, if they did not stop billing my credit card w/o my consent.The way I see it it is no different than being mugged in an alley, and you have to fight like a cornered wolverine. It worked.

intelius should be shut down! how are they able to scam people like us??

why does it keep happening?? :( :( :( :?

intelius should be shut down! how are they able to scam people like us??

why does it keep happening?? :( :( :( :?

the same thing happened to me and now i have to cancel my credit card...

Keep spreading the word about these crooks. It seems that is all we can do so far.

These folks have pilfered from me as well. How do you spend $2.95 only to have $19.95 and $9.95 charges made to your account every month??

Sure, they said they'd give me a quasi refund, but I already canceled my credit card account and likely will not get it.

Why is this company allowed to conduct "business" like this? I think I'm going to call my local news station and their consumer reporter....

this company is a big SCAM, they charged me for services that i did not ask for. Do Not under any circumstances use them.

when you call their number you have to wait about an hour. they are a big scam, buyer be aware.

they signed me up for 19.95 service that i did not order. :( :( :( :( :cry :x :sigh :eek :( :( :(

View more comments (15)
ID
#119651 Review #119651 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Greeley, Colorado
Loss

Don't Use Intelius!

I signed up with Intelius to do a reverse phone lookup. It said the number was listed in their service, and for $4.95 I could read the information. Once I put in my card information, I was automatically charged $9.90 and could not back out of the deal. When I tried, it automatically went into another service of their's for identity theft protection. It took a lot of tries to back out of this page. Then I got an email saying it would take 48 hours to get the phone # information. I called my bank, and they said I could file a claim against the company, but would have little chance of getting my money back. Don't use Intelius! They're a rip off!

Do you own stock in Publicintel.com? Inelius and web sites like yours are all scams that pray on baiting with false promisie.

and for the original poster, you can get your money back but must complain in writing to your credit card company. Lesson to be learned: if too good to be true (of these scam web site claims) it in NOT TRUE.

I have been an investigator for sometime now and I have utilized www.intelius.com as a tool only to point me in the right direction when information on a subject was limited. For the most part, they were pretty good BUT they were expensive.

Due Diligence requires me to verify the veracity of the records listed for a subject because, as previous comments have alluded to, records could be in error, listed because of name similarity, and for other reasons to numerous to cover in this posting. Nonetheless, I was pointed in the right direction and without due diligence research, the information would amount to nothing but public information. I don't utilize intelius.com anymore, mainly because of the price. However, I was just referred to www.PublicIntel.com which was much more price-effective for the public information it provided.

If I found information that was in error, I always ascertained the reason why it was listed in the first place.

My advice to the public, if information listed on a public records search is in error, there are dispute venues (most likely a form) to get such an item in error removed, ESPECIALLY if the information in error is utilized for employment OR residential purposes. If an item does not show up that should be there, check first the source responsible for reporting & work your way up the ladder to the background information service provider.

View more comments (1)
Knoxville, Tennessee

Intelius Is A Huge Waste Of Money

I will make this brief. Intelius background checks are a fraud. They call themselves the most accurate check system. Odd, because i lived in Ohio for nearly 22 years and they couldn't find a single residency nor could they find a single job. It cost me 33 bucks and they have a no refund policy. Because, they say that the information is no always correct or accurate. They told me that they are sorry they could not find it and figures it is because i only 4 years on the record. Which is bogus. I payed taxed for all those years and they say they cant find it and i dont get a refund. EVERYONE, do not go to this site. You are better off going through the courts. This company is a jip and will rip you off to fill thier pockets. They are not accurate and shouldn't even think about calling themselves that.

I agree that intelius is a huge rip off. They don't tell you that everytime you want to view your report after paying the money for it, they charge you just for looking at it.

The people that work for intelius that I've spoken to were rude and not at all helpful. One time I did a search, tried to charge me for a membership which I never ordered.

Does anyone have the phone # for these people or know how to cancel this "membership"? Please help

I tried to find information on someone and paid $4.95 then they enrolled me in a membership. The search I made was a failure -I got NO information and complained about that.

I repeatedly asked on the website to take me off their membership, I am not interested. They took no notice. Very clever. If you operate on their website, you have no paper trail.

These guys are VERY clever scam artists and they operate within the slim margins of the law.

You ask for a supervisor on the phone, you get a similar person who is more literate. That is the only difference.

i tried finding someone that I only had a last name for over a year, The other day I readd an article in the local paper and it gave a first name a nummbered street in a

nearby town to the one I was searching. I looked in the phone book one more time with no results.

I live in an area where the county post on line the tax records.

I match about 50 names line by line, and I found the person! Never give up!

Not to say you weren't wronged by the company, but I used Intelius everyday at work for two years "a lawfirm" and didn't have any issues. And they even refunded our money when they were unable to get the correct information. Did you ever try calling them for a refund? I do agree it is pretty expensive for just one report that is why much better deal for the monthly plan. Back then they didn't have the credit watching thing your forced to sign up for nowadays

Most searches were in Missouri and Illinois don't know if that has anything to do with it either. :)

Any Questions: tech atyo u@y ah oo.c o m Spaces are in e-mail address so bots can't spam me to death remove them if you e-mail

the thing is :"if intelius cannot be trusted , can anybody recommend me an other sites that can? i really ned to find someone

at home page go to top right hit

my intelius > services > view dashboard > cancel my account

pay attention to what you click from there to make sure it takes your cancelation

#208817

I just went to the website to cancel my account, and I had basically the same experience as MJ in January--it was claimed that the service would end on November 24th. Already warned them that if I see the charge again, I would take legal action. For the time being, however, I'm content to wait and see.

I have to agree regarding Intelius. I made a complaint to them because they listed an unknown person as a relative, and their reply, which they made very difficult to forward to anyone else, was that their information was taken from public records, and if we didn't like it, we should take it up with the public record keepers.

I should mention that the other person's name would have come right after ours in an alphabetically ordered list, so it just looks like really sloppy work on their part, but I didn't appreciate the story on gang violence that came up when I Googled the other name. So I talked to my son, who is a public lawyer, and he told me that no one believes Intelius anyway.

I have done some interviewing and hiring myself, and I have never used a source of this kind, because better sources for people in my profession are available, but I certainly wouldn't use them to screen anyone, knowing what I know at this point, and I will make a complaint to public officials about companies of this type putting inaccurate information on the web and then refusing to correct it. You can make a complaint to the Better Business Bureau, as well, and the BBB will at least give them a difficult time about their behavior.

This site is such a cheat. I can't cancel, even from the how to I cancel contact us page linke.

It just redirects me back to the home page.

It didn't even give me the information I was looking for. Someone please tell me how to delete my account with Intelius.

View more comments (28)
Bellevue, Nebraska

Intelius ripped me off and they'll do it to you.

I wanted a background check on someone I'd met online and didn't trust. I used Intelius. It turns out that the low prices quoted by Intelius are a come-on. Every tiny smidgen of extra information will cost you at least an additional $5 bucks, and the info is woefully outdated. NOW I can't stop Intelius from sending me monthly emails. Not only are the subject lines blank, the body of the email appears to be encrypted. I have asked them to stop but they won't. And although there is a toll-free line to sign up for service, you have to make a toll call to contact customer service. I swear to God, don't even go to their website. It's like a spider's web. They will NEVER stop sucking the blood out of you.
Little Silver, New Jersey
Loss

Charged $50 for wrong info. Won't follow through

I am a landlord, I paid intelius $50 for a background check, they gave me a list of about 20 people with similar names but not the correct person. They do no follow through and no check to see if it is the correct person, I even gave them the ssn for the person and they gave me no information and will not give a refund. They said they would give me one free background check to make up and I gave them just a ssn ,they have not responded since, its been about 3 weeks and still nothing,at all.

I found interesting information on myself using that site-- apparently i am 5 years older than i am, have lived in Fresno (ive never even been there), and have 3 more relatives at my home than actually live there or even exist at all

How can they be allowed to sell this???????

javascript:ac_smilie(':sigh')

Intelius is nothing but a scam--offering at once to protect you from identity thieves when they are the major database putting out all kinds of sensitive & private information. This company is unethical & immoral & needs to be stopped!!

View more comments (1)
Spokane, Washington
I mpaid $15.00 for a 5 yr old ph number. they say unpublished numbers will be provided, that's a croc-o-poo. And customer service is a misnomer. UNintelius you stink. Sure they have a "terms and conditions that takes too long to read carefully, and is...

DO NOT ORDER FROM STYLESCHECKS.COM :( :( :(