Intelius Reviews

Show reviews that mention
information credit card service money card people phone credit number scam
Filter review

Intelius is getting worse

yesterday my wife ordered a $.99 report on their site we were charged the $.99 then $19.95 for an identity protection plan we did not order then they used our credit card number at another site a value max 123 which we have never heard of and they charged us another $19.95 for no reason. How is this company still in business and why has no one started a class action lawsuit against them if interested in doing so sign me up i can be reached at fsr.pjohnson@***.com. companys like this need to be shut down.

I TURNED MY COIN COLLECTION OVER TO A BUSINESS TO SELL FOR ME AND II SEE MUCH OF IT SELLING ON EBAY ETC. HE KEEPS PROMISING A CHECK IS COMING , TIME AFTER TIME BUT ZERO.

IT`S GOING ON 6 MONTHS WITH MORE PROMISES.

WERE TALKING PROBABLY 10 THOUSAND DOLLARS WORTH.I HATE TO HAVE TO HIRE A LAWYER. WHATS MY BEST MOVE NOW?

I work at a class action law firm and we are investigating this issue with Intelius. I am interested in talking to people and hearing about their experiences. Please contact me at abby1100ny@***.com if you’ve had problems with Intelius or if you have any questions on this investigation.

Thanks, Abigail.

abby1100ny@***.com

View more comments (1)
Sikeston, Missouri

Intelius ripped me off and will not refund my mones

Intelius ripped me off, gave out my card to another rip off company without my permission. I have not received any useful information from anyone at Intelius who seem to be connected to or own too many scam look up site. One can understand incorrect information, however these people appear to be scam atris who take and share your money and information with their cunterparts at will. Why are they allowed to run these scam sites with so many complaints and proof of fraud? these sites are all over the web with negative complaints? IT's ok if they steal?

I work at a class action law firm and we are investigating these claims against Intelius. We would like to hear from people who have had trouble with Intelius. Please email me at abby1100ny AT yahoo DOT com

Thanks,

Abigail

@PissedConsumer36629

I too was ripped off by Intelius.com But, I'm doing something about it. I filed a complaint with the Dept Of Justice as well as the Attorney General.

I also put a block against them so that they can't use the card again. I strongly suggest that everyone else who has had the same issue file a complaint with there governing agency.

Mark Kaufman.

View more comments (1)
Saint Louis, Missouri

Intelius ripped me off.

I paid ONCE for ONE people search, and ending up getting charged EVERY MONTH for many months. It wasn't until yesterday that I discovered this fraud. I am very angry and if there is a class action lawsuit in play, I will join it. This company must be stopped. I then Googled Intelius, and found that they have taken a dizzying amount of money from a great deal of people, all of whom are likely going to swarm like bees on them. I hope Intelius goes down in flames and is buried right next to InfoSpace. At the very least, the founders should be jailed.

Ya know, i am so glad i have read your reviews and comment about Intelius Company.

I have been lookin for a dear friend of mine for several months. I normally dont do these sites ever, but loss of contact resulted from long hospital stay to home of bills pialed up.

So needless to say im desperate and in looking around. This horrible company presented itself with a 99cent report. From what I can see, they have the right information in regards to receants addresses ect ect... I KNEW IT WAS TO CHEAP TO BE TRUE. You people will stop at nothing. I didnt even loose any monies. BUT I will not submit my credit card info and be ripped off for who knows how much.

THANK YOU for you comments, there starting to pay off. I will find my friend only with a rep company that deserves my bussiness and produces results. Not bleeding there own dry. GOOD LUCK with staying out of JAIL

My husband had been running up his charge card, so one day I cut it in to pieces. A few months later after having paid it off, I found two charges for identy protection which we had not signed on for.

My husband canceled the card to avoid it happenning again. Yesterday, we received a letter from our insurance company letting us know they were going to be raising our rates because of one of their reports. They are collecting the information and then charging our credit cards for a service we never ordered.

They are suppose to be in the business to protect us from this sort of thing. If someone has a stocker, they can track you down with this information.

I N T E L I U S I S A R I P O F F

to call them gangsters is to insult actual gangsters

LOW DOWN DIRTY *** - DO NOT USE INTELIUS

I never signed up for this service and discovered I had been paying for this for four months!!

I called them on their 800 service number but was placed on hold for long period of time....I was on hold one day for over two hours and finally gave up....!! I have yet to be able to contact them....they also would not respond via e-mail.

This people are nothng but GANGSTERS.

View more comments (3)
Portland, Oregon

Intelius - I won!!!

Today I checked my bank account and found my money had been returned to my account by Intelius. I didn't have to wait that long....I contacted my state Attorney General, the Washington State Attorney General, BBB, my bank and they wrote to them, called them and ultimately my money was returned, all I had asked from them was a one-time people search and suddenly I became a paid subscriber. I suggest strongly anytime one of these scam factories starts taking your money you immediately contact your state AG and the state they originate in - this will assist in helping others, possibly get their business to straight up or closed down. You can also contact your bank and talk about online fraud.

How do comanies do it so easy these days!!! I called ValueMax123 and cancelled my membership to them.

:zzz Thanks! I'll follow up with refusing to pay the credit item and call my Att Gen.

Hey, I did read that bull when I was checking out and did NOT accept the $10 savings B.S. I thought "they are tricky, but I am smart." NOPE.

They still charged me for the $20 membership ***. (And gave my OTHER card number, debit card no less, to other internet companies which sucked a pile of money out of my bank account.)

dOOd.....this particular web site had a box that you check that stated they will send you an email for instructions on how to save $10 as you are checking out. If you checked yes for this email you are automatically signed up for a membership without even responding to the email.

THIS IS A RIP-OFF !!!!!! These people should be prosecuted and put in jail for stealing from innocent people......their consumers none-the-less. They are obviously trying to scam you with this and it should not be legal.

So dOOd, you make think this kind of abuse is ok but i think a thief is as low as you can get. :roll

Dude, like any other website, they throw in some advertising and trying to sell you more, and you like an *** clicked yes to it and got charged for it, read before you complain, otherwise according to you ALL online businesses should be closed. I don't vote for that.

View more comments (4)
Los Angeles, California

Refused to give me back my money for reports i didn't want

i was looking for the addresses of 2 individuals. in order to get just the addresses, i was forced to also purchase a background check for each of them. i was also forced to purchase a 2nd 24 hour pass. when i called intelius dominic (ask me if i believe this is his name!) told me that these charges were non-refundable. he refused to let me talk to a supervisor. i told him i was angry because i had just spent $119.85 i didn't want to spend and i wanted a refund. i am unable to locate a mailing address so i plan to write the ftc and my local district attorney consumers' complaint department. dominic told me the only way i could get to a purchase screen for a background check was to do an advance search, which, of course, i didn't do. after my conversation with him, i went back and did screen prints of every screen on a name to show exactly what happened. copies of these will be going with my letter.

My credit card was charged $49.95 for a report I never received. Is in dispute now.

Pittsburg, Kansas
Service
Intelius Background Check

Intelius: wrong price, unfound list, still chgd

7/29/08: Wanted to look up an "anonymous" number that called 3x at my work phone. Intelius said it would be $4.95, then their email said it would be $9.95. When I called, the person said I had "pushed a button" to indicate further service, but they would cancel the extra charge. Their next email advised the number could not be located and I would not be charged. A check of my charge account next day showed $9.95 charged. I filed a complaint, but only got another email requesting I call them. I have not gotten this credit back yet (1 week).

Do not use this site. They were completely wrong about the info they sent me.

Do not get suckered like I did...

Although I was smart enough to cancel my credit card before anymore charges could be charged to it.

Pissed off too in Augusta GA.

Cincinnati, Ohio

News story proves Intelius is a scam

For all of those employers and consumers that felt Intelius was a scam, it runs out you were right. The details of their fraud has been broken publically at: http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/05/29/naveen-jains-intelius-prepares-to-go-public-how-much-of-their-revenue-is-a-scam/ This was all one big scam aimed at maximizing revenues in order to go IPO--another big consumer rip-off by crooks that are expert in manipulating the system. The management gets to take the money and run and consumers and shareholders would be left holding the bag. Any consumer uisng this site needs to beware.

I could not believe the information they are sending out to employers and others about me that is totally false. People they say I am related to I've never heard of, one room mate they gave "my" last name to...how he became related to me I'll never know. Please tell me where they get this information and how may I correct it?

Intelius is a total scam. As a former employee, I can tell you that they are doing everything possible to get money out of their customers, and only change their techniques when they find they are getting in trouble.

The employees on the phones get no bonuses and are paid practically zip, while the big shots take all the money. If you want your money back, all you have to do is say you are going to dispute with credit card company, call the BBB or AG's office and they will give you back everything...that is their policy that the employees have to go by. They are in enough trouble and don't want to be reported again. Please don't yell at the customer support...just tell them you are going to dispute.

Like me, many are working there as they can't find a job anywhere else. I had to leave as I got so tired of being yelled at by customers that it was ruining my health.

Thanks for the information on Intelius after reading your complain I will not be using the web site. another scam out there is money.com

Intelius is indeed a shady operation. I paid the .99 cents for one report and they have charged my VISA $24.95 for the last two months.

When I called the number on the VISA bill, it is a recording and you can't talk to anyone. The day I used them, I cancelled the monthly service on their web site. They ignore this. There is really no way to cancel.

VISA has the charges in "dispured" status at this time. These crooks should be shut down.

It is a disgrace. Their meal mouthed comments are a lie!!

I can't believe I did not look into your website and others to check out Intellius before I laid out $,99 to just get an address. I know I did not order ANYTHING else, but I got dinged with a $19.95 charge for some other products they were touting.

I cannot get the $19.95 back either.

This is not just a scam, it is fraud. I just hope people read these complaint sites before they do ANYTHING with this company.

View more comments (4)
San Rafael, California
Loss

Same thing happened to me

I just found out last night that my credit card account had been billed 7 times with the same fraudulent charges through Intellius. I never signed up for Identity plus, or whatever else they were billing me $19.95 twice a month for. Fortunately they did not put up a fight at all. I figured they did not because they must do this type of thing all of the time. Something should be done. Look at how many people may not notice and be charged for something they never asked for. They need to be stopped. What can we do to prevent this from happening to others?
Arlington, Virginia
Loss

Identity company took money i didnt sign up for

I did a search on someone through itelius,they said if they could not find anything,I would not be charged.OK this was fine what could it hurut I said.A few days later,I got an email saying nothing found.Refund. I looked at my bank statement and saw a charge of $19.95 taken out out.A phone number was there called,auto service.OK so i cancelled something I never signed up for.Now action will be taken.pm identity..phone number 888-840-****..anyone else have this number on file? 40$ lost to them
Dayton, Maryland

Intelius-Brittney Fellers home number

I used intelius for a background check on my ex husband. Based on his check, thinking I was onto something I checked myself and both had the same erroneous information, which I verified through a public source. It also said I had a criminal record, which I don't. But being scared paid for a criminal check. Through a public source I found out it was a 10 year old speeding ticket. I cancelled that order in less than 24 hours, so we'll see if they charge my account or not. They have over 600 BBB complaints in the last 36 months. I have asked for a refund, but I understand that they are slow or don't give refunds. I'm going to dispute the charges on my credit cards. Oh and you can call Brittney Fellers head of the complaint department at home 360-424-****. Bet she won't like her personal information available from a public source used. Cheers!

Where do they gather this *** information? They have me related to a former room mate AND gave him "my" last name, they also have false information about my background and marriages!!! What are employers thinking to trust this information and how do we get it corrected?

Stockton, California

Intelius Scam:

I ran a report on myself. I lived in the area 60 years. They have no report or any other refrence on me. They will not refund. I will contract my creidit card and issue a complaint. They are a scam. Do not use them as they are multi-teared scam system making you pay for more services thinking you will get your information if you pay the added price. Scam...! I don't know if other companies can provide this service. It is good to run a background search when you are constructing a resume. But, you nead to deal with a proper company which ain't a scam, if there is such a company. I tried another company and they also are a scam. Good luck, Joe

I wanted a one-time report to get an address for $1.95. I noticed the process was deceptive as I went through the steps, so I navigated verrrrry carefully, got my address, and appeared to end up with a membership.

After three attempts following complicated directions to opt-out or cancel (twice thinking I'd misread the directions, LOL); the option simply wasn't available. The contact by email limits your choices so I sent several, but had to telephone and go through the time-consuming procss of waiting for an available rep. According to "Kevin" I didn't have a membership (so evidently I'd navigated their mine-field of unwanted purchases). It's highly unethical to trick customers; I could see the handwriting on the wall regarding extra charges.

My time is too valuable to spend on such as this.

This researcher won't be using Intelius again! ML

Reston, Virginia

Don't use Intellius

I too got defrauded by Intellius. I used their information services for a long period of time and as I was checking my credit card statement I noticed some unusual charges from companies I did not recognize. After a morning on the telephone to those companies I found that they were Intellius companies with revolving charges to my credit card. These companies were: 24ProtectPlus; PMIdentity; PrivacyMatter; and Valuemax. Again, be VERY careful if you use this company for ANY information. I wasted a whole morning of my valuable time on this matter and they had charged approx $100 in unauthorized charges through these various companies.

They charge for information they don't have !

i ordered a more indepth search for $19.95 but did not get it and asked for a refund they said it would take 3 to 10 days second email they said it was pending that was two weeks ago and now they taken more money out. how do i stop this i am on low income and can't afford this every month especially if i don't get anything for it.

i aksed for information, that isn't available unless you know the city the person is born in. I needed a death certificate The person was a foreign national.

I got screwed out of $49.95.They offered a credit for the future. Not to worry I'll never use them again.

Just think they know all about you!

#190923

Actually, I used their service one time but was careful to go back in and remove the revolving status on my account or it will keep charging on your account. I learned this when I signed up for Classmates and they kept charging me.

It's no different with Intellius. Use it once, then remove that authorization or it will keep charging.

These people have been calling my mother multiple times and asking for me. She finally had to call the "do not call" registry & file an official complaint in order to get the calls to stop. These scam artists will all rot in ***.

I hadn't got paper invoices for a long time and just got set up online with my e-statements. Low and be hold there are all these things coming out of my account and I am going to the bank tomorrow. I will close my account if need be These people need to be STOPED IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!

ABSOLUTELY DISQUSTING BUSINESS PRACTICES!!!! DO NOT USE THIS SITE FOR ANYTHING!!!

I USED TO LOOK UP AN ADDRESS FOR .95 AND GOT BILLED ON 5-23 AND 6-19 FOR TWO DIFFERENT SERVICES I DID NOT AUTHORIZE OR SIGN UP FOR!!!! IF WE WANTED THEIR ADDITIONAL SERVICES, WE WOULD SIGN UP FOR THEM.

NOT TRICKED INTO AND FRAUDED INTO HAVING THEM BILLED TO OUR CREDIT CARDS WITHOUT OUR AUTHORIZATION. I AM GOING TO FURTHER INVESTIGATE WITH BBB AND MY CREDIT CARD CO.

They charged me $19.95 for July, after I cancelled their service in June on the same day I used their 1 time lookup service. I was only to becharged $0.95, but I was charged the $19.95 the same day I used the service. No trial period, no nothing.

I too feel defrauded by Intellius - used their one time $1.95 address check and was billed $19.95 a month after that.

I did NOT see where you should say yes to their other services and I did NOT see the 7 day cancellation waiver.

Bad company bad services - beware

I did a search on myself with my social security number and found all kinds of incorrect information. They are not very accurate. They listed the addresses of my siblings and parents as my address.

View more comments (28)
Rochester, New York
Loss

Intelius - oh no you don't

I ordered a one-time people search from Intelius, the information was old enough for an archeologists dig and today they removed $19.95 from my bank account which I did not request and now my account is overdrawn. $2.50 for bad information, $19.95 theft - what a deal. Should they not return my money I will contact the state Attorney General's consumer complaints department and the Federal Trade Commission and also file a complaint because these people should not be in business because they don't provide the information they claim they do. Buyer Beware, I also need to follow that advise.

I paid for a one-time telephone number and then was charged $19.95 per month for ongoing service which I did not want or request.

Do not use Intelius ever.

I agree, this company is doing nothing more than playing *** artist. I decided to do a reverse phone number search of my personal number...a test run for accuracy.

To my surprise the number came up under another name and address. When I called customer service I was offered a credit to use their worthless service again. If the information is this old, I call this stealing.

Thanks for the information on the General Attorney.

I will contact them as well as dispute the charge with my credit card co.

DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE IF YOU WANT ACCURATE INFORMATION. THEY ARE NOTHING MORE THAN A COMPANY GETTING FAT ON WORTHLESS INFORMATION.

Thanks for the information on the General Attorney.

I will contact them as well as dispute the charge with my credit card co.

Well, very nice to know... because I will also be calling them up for the last two months I was billed as well for the $19.95 from pmidentity...well I called up and they did cancel me right away...I was a little taken back because I had to ask what this charge was from......I didn't freak out then because I thought Maybe it was my mistake....but I know that I also ordered a one time 24 hour access...

I'm pissed, all of these companies take your money and HOPE you don't notice so they can keep on taking it until you do..

#20996

#20222

Intelius refunded my account with the money they took out. All you have to do is tell them you will contact your state Attorney General or the Federal Trade Commission...........this is the fourth time something like this has happened to me and they both have been very helpful.

#20173

At Intelius we take customer service very seriously, please contact me at contactus@***.com and I would be happy to address the issues you mentioned in your post. Thanks - Chris

View more comments (6)
Medford, Oregon

Intelius=SCAM

About 6 weeks ago I used Intelius to find out the name and address of a number that kept calling my cell phone. After paying $5 they gave me the first name but no other information. I complained but received no response and no credit back to my charge card. The next month my credit card gets charged $19.95. Intelius had signed me up for a Indentity Theft Protection against my consent. After finding this "Pissed Consumer" website and reading about quite a few people being hit by this scam, I called Intelius to complain about the unauthorized charge. The female rep actually tried to talk me into the service that they already charged my card for. I told her I did a little search on the internet about this scam and that Intelius has pi$$ed off more than just a few people. If she didn't want me to take further action that the charge better be removed, pronto. They removed the charge and I haven't seen another since but being the scammers they are I'm sure they'll do it again.

they are disonhest dont know how to work onhest dont do any bussiness with intelius u will lose money there snakes in the grass iam contacting the att gen to file a class action law suite e mail me 2 KRWINFLA@***.COM IF YOUR A VICTIM

yes they are sneaky scamers the hit me i cancalled and hit me three months later iam going after these *** bags beware dont use ther services unless u want to lose money krwinfla@***.com keith

#20174

View more comments (2)
Saginaw, Michigan

Intelius has hacked my computer

These pond *** should be in prison. I just spent a lot of time and money to protect the sanctity of MY PERSONAL PRIVACY. Like most Americans I VALUE my privay but *** like this company uses tracking cookies to make your life miserable. Every time you try to get some information on the net - *** like Intelius hacks you with pop ups that interrupt your train of thpught and privacy. They then DARE to call themselves business people. That are comon criminals whose liveilhood depends upon their ability to invade EVERYONE'S privacy! These creeps belong in prison. I RISKED MY LIFE years ago in uniform of an Airborne Special operations commander to protect basic American freedoms. ONE of those cherished freedoms is freedom from invasion of privacy. MY computer is NOT a public toilet. it does NOT belong to eveyone in the world and like my telephone - I have the right NOT to be spied on.

I am a seasoned hacking. Starting rates 150$ per page.

Dude they can still ge through, are you the one with no brains. That is why it is called HACKING...HACKING..even when you block cookies and block ups..

Maybe he just didn't put his complaint in the right format. It can be you next...

Dude, just block the pop ups and cookies on your computer and don't complain about it again. Like you said you have the freedom of choosing to block or not to block pop ups and cookies.

View more comments (2)