Show reviews that mention
information credit card service money card people credit phone number scam
Filter review

Intelius-very old info if any!

I paid for 14 day trial and cancled same day.The info they had on me was over 15yrs old and wrong!!All the people and phone numbers I had and were currant came up with no info. For any additional information or in depth investigation for any of the people I was trying to research, they required additional money to view the details that should have been added to the trial membership but were not. There was no way, in my estimation, that you could do a reliable search on anyone without extra money, and then, my assumption was that it would be as incomplete and incorrect and the small bit of information that I acquired in the beginning.

They have my name miss spelled on this site and have information that is almost 20 years old

ID
#152024 Review #152024 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Beaufort, South Carolina
Loss

Debited my account without permission

I went to the intelius web site to look up a cell phone number, it was called reverse phone look up. I had saw someone else us this service to look up a cell number. I used my credit card and was charged 5.99. However, I never got the phone number that I paid for. So I let it go, what's 5.99. But every month since that happened they have debited my account for $19.95. I am contacting my bank and the better business bureau to try to put a stp to this theft. So far they owe me over 45 dollars. I plan to recover every penny.
ID
#151908 Review #151908 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Mount Laurel, New Jersey

Intelius Passing on Credit Card Info

I used Intelius for property information. Unknown to me, signing up for the service led to 24ProtectPlus sending me an e-mail that I had subscribedd to their service/membership and they billed my credit card. Since I didn't even know this firm, I realized it was another scam. They got my credit card info from the Intelius transaction. I cancelled and I am really "pissed" that Intelius had the gall to pass on my information causing me the nuisance of having to go thru cancelling this unwanted service. I am notifying the FCC of both of these organizations.
Sacramento, California

Intelius Rip-Off : Incorrect Info & No Refund!

A Google search for a particular individual led to a link to Intellius.com for information about that person. Intellius correctly identified the individual's name, age, and city of residence, then provided another link for additional criminal background information about the individual--which cost $29.95. I clicked on this link to buy the criminal info, entered my credit card information, and received the supposed report of the criminal background information for the person whom Intellius had identified by name, age, and location in the previous screen. However, the information in the Criminal Report was NOT for this individual! It was for someone 20 years younger with a similar name... I called Intellius to report this problem and request a refund. Intellius informed me that I should have entered the person's age on the order screen. I told Intellius that on the order screen there was NO PLACE to enter the person's age; and Intellius itself had already identified the person's age on previous screen... I further explained that Intellius, in accepting the fee, had contracted to give correct information--not incorrect information, and that I was entitled to a refund. The representative refused to give a refund and hung up the phone. BIG RIP-OFF! BIG SCAM! AVOID THIS COMPANY!!!! THEY SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN.
Chantilly, Virginia
Service
Intelius Background Check

Verified Reviewer

Intelius is bogus

Intelius sells backgroud check services on individual all over the country. Trouble is, you do not get anything for your money and the worst part is, they charge you an extra $19.95 which Stephan of Intelius says you agree to when you check the box and send them payment for the service you really were buying. So they stick it up your *** because they have an attorney who showed them how they could legally extort $19.95 from each *** *** enough to buy anything from these phonies. Tell everyone you know to not buy anything from Intelius. They are scammers.
Bangor, Maine

Intellus charged $19.95 extra

I bought information for $.95 and got charged that amount and $19.95 for Identity Protect. I didn't see that one coming. I cancelled, but they would not refund the $19.95. They are deceiving! I sent an email as soon as the money was taken from my account, and I was told, when I called them, that they never received an email from me. I will never use them again! It should be that people have a choice as to whether they want Identity Protect, If you don't know about the charges, they will take the money out every month.

We apologize for any confusion arising from the use of our service and would like the opportunity to assist you.

Intelius offers a variety of promotions during the checkout process. The Identity Protection Membership was activated through the acceptance of discounted pricing for the report. The discounted price selection describes the activation of the Identity Protection Membership, which is initially a seven day free trial. All of our services are non-contractual so there is no obligation to continue using the service.

If you still need assistance with your account, please visit the contact us page on the Intelius website for a variety of options to contact Customer Support.

www.intelius.com/emailcontact.php

We value your feedback and look forward to hearing from you.

i posted a complaint on Pissed consumer about the people search scam,going on by Intelius and Experian and if you notice they pretty much match each other word for word,so you know they arent making it up! but watch and they will all return with a new complaint, if they do give your money back and refund it to your account,you better suck it out quick and close your account because surprise number 2, THEY WILL SUCK IT RIGHT BACK OUT AGAIN!

what a bunch of crooks,its the double whammy scam game all over again. and ive heard complaints that they will keep taking it out over and over untill you close your account and start another one somewhere else.these people are experts at stealing your money and they are the ones you need to be protected from, i will never give my account number again on the internet,these are the only ones who have ripped me off, and they say they will protect you from it!

The website only offers one report for 95 cents. Right under where it says at to cart it says "Free ID Protect Trail" and has a link that says "Learn More" if you click on the link it shows terms and conditions that say if you don't cancel the trail it's 19.95 a month.

Why is it that people don't listen to their mothers when they say nothing is free? This is one of the most common marketing tactics out there. Show you something you want, offer you a special for it. The service it's self is actually a good service. During the 7 days you can get a free Experian credit score and add your self to various opt out programs for junk mail but if you cancel it during the 7 days you shouldn't be charged more.

I really feel that Americans are spoiled are lack any idea of personal responsiblity.

Both of the marketing tactics used on the Intelius website are easy to avoid by remembering two rules of online buying.

1. Free is never Free.

2. If they are asking you to type in info they already have and you are logged in they want a signature. (ie the email address, such as with the People Search Membership ad)

#141935

Wow, Bob, and Sonny obviously work for intelius. They DO sneak the charge in as stated on BBB's website. Bob....if you love the company soooo much why are you on a "whiner" site reading about it?

hay wow and sonny and wilber and bubba,calling people dumb and idiots,I can tell you guys are rocket scienticed,if you realy think intellus isnt cheating poeple,I'll sell you *** some ocean front property in kansas,and when you get there just follow the yellow brick road.

I've used Intelius for years and will continue to do so.

They put in plain view, on the web page where you sign up for a search. The option to decline that ID protection service is very prominent and very easy to understand, just uncheck the *** box is all you have to do.

Avoiding the $19.95 charge is as easy as reading the page before your rush in and accept everything without looking.

Crying about on some whiner site can't save you from your own stupidity.

Same thing with me. I bought a cell phone number check and ended up with the 19.95 credit protection plan.

They sneek it in somewhere. Call (888)445-**** and get it reversed.

If you research a tenant with a birthdaye and social, all information should be specific to the person backround checked, not a bunch of irrelevant info you can find for free.

It's not a scam, you idiots - they *tell you* when you go for the cheaper price that it's with a free trial of another service- the ID protection. When the free trial expires you are charged the $19 for the service *you signed up for*

If they won't cancel the service when you ask them, then that's another issue (although you'd still have to pay what's already gone from your account because you agreed to do that when you signed up for the trial), but you not bothering to read what you're signing up for is your problem, not theirs. :roll

They used to be reliable. I will use

another site for my research.

View more comments (16)
Millerton, Pennsylvania

Unauthorized charges to my credit card.

After using Intelius for a phone lookup which was supposed to cost 95 cents, next month a charge for $19.95 showed up on my credit card bill. I did not challenge this, but when it showed up again next month, I called the company. They told me I had agreed to this but did go ahead and cancel my "agreement". I could not get a refund. Then, I filed a consumer complaint with my state (MO.) attorney. I had a reply from his office shortly and in about 3 weeks, Intelius did refund $39.90. I advise anyone who has been scammed by this company to contact their state attorney and file a complaint.

Intelius offers a variety of promotions during the checkout process. It sounds like the Identity Protection Membership was activated through the acceptance of discounted pricing for the report. The discounted price selection describes the activation of the Identity Protection Membership, which is initially a seven day free trial. All of our services are non-contractual so there is no obligation to continue using the service.

www.intelius.com/emailcontact.php

We value your feedback and look forward to hearing from you.

BE CAREFUL AND WATCH FOR AND DONT BE SURPRISED IF THEY SUCK IT RIGHT BACK OUT AGAIN!

OH YEA! WELL I SEE THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO THINK THESE PEOPLE "INTELIUS" "EXPERIAN" OWNERS AND MASTERMINDS OF THE "PEOPLE SEARCH SUPER RIPOFF"DOUBLE WHAMMY SCAM" ARE JUST WONDERFUL PEOPLE,WELL EITHER THESE PEOPLE ARE PART OF IT OR EMPLOYEES OR STOCK HOLDERS,OR JUST PLAIN IGNORANT,BECAUSE AFTER THEY AGREED THEY SCREWED ME AND OVERCHARGED ME AND DOUBLE CHARGED ME AND REFUNDED THE MONEY TO MY ACCOUNT,{OBVIOUSLY TO CALM THE HEAT OR PRESSURE FOR A MOMENT} THEY WENT RIGHT BACK IN WHILE NO ONE WAS LOOKING AND SUCKED IT RIGHT BACK OUT AGAIN, NOW LETS HEAR THESE PRO INTELIUS/EXPERIAN *** EXPLAIN THIS! I CANT WAIT TO HEAR IT!

View more comments (2)
Poplar Bluff, Missouri

I do not want their service, can not reach by phone

Intelius will not honor my request to discontinue my subscription..need help from a legal councellor to do ths..help is needed now !!! New York State resident (I am) Intelius keeps subscribing me without my consent on my credit card to do the new subscription. Have continued to try to reach them via phone, can not get thru to them. After 5 days, I will try to call them again & again if need be. Any positive suggestions to resolve this are greatly appreciated... as soon as possible . Now would be better than later email help to me at Boopatoo@***.com

call your credit card co.NOW!!.They will help you.

Depew, New York

Intelius.com ripoff

I ordered one search from these people and paid $1.95 for it,with my bank card.They then charged me $19.95 one week later for credit checking.I asked my bank not to pay , but if you have ordered something from them before ,too bad.this is a scam ,plain and simple.do not use these people ,you will be sorry and they will NOT return or refund.i did contact them through their site and told them it was a scam.I received no answer.And now when you try to use the site ,you still have to pay.SCAM

you show jane l smallin, aged 70 as having a relative named shoura, this is INCORRECT, her only relative s are john smallin and richard smallin, both in ny. please correct this, thanks :?

:( YOU HAVE STOLE MONEY

FROM MY CHECKING ACOUNT

I AM PRESSING FEDERAL CHARGES FOR INTERNET THIEFT

View more comments (1)
Pasadena, Texas

Intelius is a bogus website

There is no customer service center. No one answers any phone #s. I believe they are a hacking site who are able to retrieve banking information. I've never been on this site or subscribed to this site, and they started taking money from my checking acct. Beware- This is a scam site Scam!! Call your bank right away Report to as many blogs and email to as many people you know. The better business bureau will do nothing for you I repeat this is a scamming hacking web site- Beware They are not investigating and should be investigated Veri Sign Secure is BS too
Mount Clemens, Michigan

Intelius big scammer, won't answer phone

I went on line to check a phone number on one person and the site I thought I used charged me my 99 cents and then cancelled my subscription. All of a sudden I began receiving charges from Intelius. Tried several times calling them and was on hold one time for 50 minutes before I gave up. They never answer their phone. When I call on the selection list they give me I use the one the states all other calls because the other ones just don't apply to me. It is so frustrating as I am a senion citizen and altho I do understand things I hate being treated they way they have treated me.
Washington, District Of Columbia

Unauthorized Subscripion

I agreed to pay $1.95 one time for an email address of an old friend. The address that I got had not been in effect for at least 10 years. Although I complained immediately thereafter, they still charged me the $1.95. A couple of weeks later, I noticed a $19.95 debit for a subscription for Identity Theft Protection that I did not sign up for. I have sent them 3 emails about a refund and not gotten any response. I am getting ready to call "customer service" with a lot of verbal taking place. Seems to me that the only identity theft protection I need is from Intelius!

I also was scammed by Intellius from whom I ordered a background search. The next month a charge for 19.95 showed up on the bill for AP9 Valuemax.

I thought that I had simply ordered something and then forgot. But it appeared again the next month. I called Valuemax who said that by clicking a banner on Intellius it had authorized the Valuemax charge.

I asked for documentation that I had done so, but Valuemax said that they had none. I immediately terminated the service, but I believe that Intellius illegally shared the charge information and authorized the charges--looks like lots of others are having the same problems.

The same thing happened to me; a one-time $1.95 look-up ended up in them charging me $19.95 for a service for another month that I don't even have access to. I called them and they said they would cancel the subscription to the so-called "Identity Theft Protection" I unknowingly signed up for.

If they do it again, I'm sending a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission and any other regulating agengy that has clout. I'd advise others to do the same.

View more comments (1)
Mobile, Alabama

Intelius unauthorized charges

I used Intelius to confirm addresses - after the first month there were 2 unauthorized charges by ValueMax for $19.95 and another for $19.95 from ProtectionPlus. I called the 800 # for ValueMax and had them cancel one month - had to talk to a supervisor to cancel the first month. They are a rip-off and part of Intelius - they said that when we used Intelius we signed up for a free 7 day membership and if we did not cancel after 7 days we got the $19.95/month charges. This is a serious illegal activity. I would be glad to be involved in any class-action suit against this dishonest business practice. Do not use Intelius!

I work at a class action lawfirm and we specialize in consumer frauds. We are investigating Intelius for a potential class action lawsuit.

I'd like to hear more about your experience with Intelius. Please contact me abby1100ny@***.com

yeah, look out for them, total scam, will sell you cc # around.....turn them in

yeah, look out for them, total scam, will sell you cc # around.....turn them in

INTELIUS IS A REAL SCAM COMPANY who will take evey dime from the registered customers. It will start with minimum sum landing up paying big bucks for info U already know.

Something has got to be done about all these scams to get MONEY FROM THE PIBLIC!! what mroe evidence do u need to stop this ROT??

Alos why is it they can keep your money & NO REFUND?? That is TANTAMOUNT TO DAYLIGHT ROBBERY!!

View more comments (3)
Portland, Oregon
Loss

Intelius for the not-Intelius

I like many others are not obviously smart enough to see a scam coming my way; I simply wanted to look up a co-workers birthday and I got charged by Intelius 19.95 for two months when I thought it was a one time charge; furthermore, my card information was shared with a company called "Value Max" and they also charged me. I have not been able to reach Intelius and send two emails cancelling. I am citing all chages as "stolen" to my card going forward. Fair is fair. That membership better be over and done with or it is Better Business Bureau next . . .
Washington, District Of Columbia
I bought a $49.95 report on myself from Intelius. They did not produce records they claimed would be in the report and the info was incorrect. The info was wrong. They had me living in states I had never visited. Vital true info was missing. They listed relatives I...

I searched myself on Intelius only to find I am related to so many people I do not know. I wrote to Intelius asking them to disclose the relationship of these people to me; as my parents did let me know of these people and they seem to have better knowledge than my parents.

This is their response….

"Hello Millicen., Thank you for contacting Customer Support! Unfortunately, we are unable to provide the exact source of the public record. Intelius is only an aggregator of public records. Local, state and federal agencies make updates to public records.

You would need to contact them directly to see if they can provide the source of this public record information. The information can come from marketing surveys, land deeds, catalog purchases, voter registrations, lawsuit filings, court records, magazine subscriptions, and address changes.

Thank you, Noah Customer Support."

This Intelius is a fraud posting incorrect information. Because of this I’m flooded with junk mail for these individual I do not know.

View more comments