Intelius (Don't pay it) do the work yourself

Wow i wish i would have found this site before i used Intelius!!! They bring up the name your looking for and tell you they have recent numbers, work history, utilities etc etc. you will know the drill. Then they ask if you wand the basic or the more expensive one, so i took the 6 dollar one it showed a few things and thats it. If i bought the $49.95 one i would get the whole thing plus more so i took that and OMG what a scam there are no dates no real answers, i swear i think they just put stuff in there,i called Intelius more than once to tell them there system was out of date and they kepp telling me the same old line, they must have a complaint sheet by them telling them what to say. If anyone is going to use them plz read all reviews and please don't do it. going to leave a complaint on the bbb too.

I just got screwed over by Intelius my self- what MF-ers! I called them too and OMG they gave me this *** line about how they aren't responsible for what info they can get their greedy little hands on.

What BS!

I got more information digging on my own... Please, if you read this, do pay them a PENNY or PESO!

Contact your state Attorney General and the Washington State Attorney General and file a complaint wishing all your monies returned, and if they caused an overdraft, ask for that too!

View more comments (1)
Decatur, Georgia
Loss

Intelius publishing family names!!

I just came across Intelius surfing the web. On a whim I decided to type my name. All of my family members' names appear!! OH MY GOD!! What's happening to this country?!! What the *** does my family have to do with my name being on some database? No one's privacy is protected. Everything in this country is about MONEY!! Of course they're not going to shut the company down because they probably pay off our politicians. Surprise, surprise!! If someone wanted to harm me they could find everyone I love. What kind of *** is this?!!

How can a company make money like this ? If you ever been down this road of identity theft good luck.

Nashville, Tennessee

Charged credit card without permission.

Tried to find out by phone why a charge was put on my card and was on hold long time. Then finally spoke to someone and said I must have checked the box to subscribe. No way.Cancelation email finally arrived but did not credit my account.Charge is still on bank account as of this morning.Has anyone else had this problem.Also this company couldn't even find my mother who has been at the same address for 35 years.When I told this to rep on phone she got snippy.Hope people read this. Thanks JS TN

I have the same problem, signed up for .95 and was also charged 19.95. I want a refund back on my visa card

Tampa, Florida

Scammed up enough!

I was looking for a relative and thought Intellus was going to charge me .95 per person. I looked up 2-3 names. I thought the minimum was more than a dozen with a period of days. When I looked at my credit card balance they had charged me and additional $19.95. I discussed this on the telephone and they advised me that they would delete the amount. Sure, when pigs fly! The additional issue is that they have my credit card account. The next step is to contact the Attorney General in the State they operate from. And of course the BBB is another organization to alert.
Tucson, Arizona

Intelius Took Money From Me Without My Knowledge!

Beware ....Intelius preys upon the unsuspecting person. They rely on the fine print to get people roped in and then, monthly, without permission they deduct $19.95 from your account for a service you neither ask for, understood nor used and then refuse to return what they have taken. In addition, they do not always stop deducting this money from your bank account even after you have ask them to stop. It doesn't matter how "established" they are considered to be, the bottom line is, honest and legitimate businesses do not operate this way, period. Check out all the other complaints about this company (there are many) before you get involved with them. The Federal Trade Commission should know them well by now. Please, if you have been scammed by this company, however little, complain to every agency and get on every website you can and tell the world about these guys. $19.95 is not much when it's only once but when they get it from thousands of unsuspecting people for months and sometimes years on end it becomes a major crime!
Austin, Texas

Intelius

I have used intelius in the past for one time searches usually and under $2 charge. Recently I have found that I was signed up for a monthly membership for $19 per month. Obviously there checkout has become very trickly, so watch these guys carefully, there costomer service was very quick to say I signed the online agreement, I am sure it was the same agreement for the one time search and I needed to opt out of the membership. In the future I will be using a different service as I received no satisfaction from theire customer service department.
Worcester, Massachusetts

Intelis is a JOKE

The company People Search Intelis is not what they say. There is a charge to extend the search. I was looking for a long lost cousin.You do not get any more for your money. I got the same amount of information for free. I called and told them that there was No information other than I had got for free and I had to pay for nothing and she said thats the chance you take in other words To Bad.I wasn't happy with nthe service.I called within thirty minutes to tell them I didn't get any further on this search.

Really??? Paid to find a lost one, only to be directed to other info-finder sites.

How original, then use other info-finder sites to direct back to these clowns. If you have any sense...DO NOT PAY FOR THIS SO CALLED SERVICE! I would have done better with a phone book, that's if, you can find one!

NEVER AGAIN! What a joke!

Please call 888-445-2727 Monday – Friday 4:30am – 10:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

View more comments (1)
Cape Coral, Florida

Run from Intelius (ripoff artists)

Run from (Intelius) these ripoff artists. Luckily I only spent .95 cent but got ran around in circles with them wanting more money all the time. Didn't received the information they told me I would and had to search hard for that info amongst the adds to spend more money. *** YOU *** YOU *** YOU *** YOU *** YOU *** YOU *** YOU *** YOU *** YOU *** YOU *** YOU. DOES THAT SATISFY YOUR 100 WORD MINIMUM...THEY WANT MORE *** YOU *** YOU *** YOU...THEY WANT MORE *** YOU *** YOU *** YOU FUCKFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF *** THIS WEB SITE TOO
Los Angeles, California

Intelius is a scam

I cannot believe no one has shut them down! I agreed for them to bill for .99 to look up a phone number and they automatically signed me up for a monthly membership and charged me $19.95 for phone look up a month and then entered me into a $19.95 membership to something called ID protection!! They have charged me $39.99! I had to call my bank and have them close my banking account and receive another bank card to stop them from charging me every month. I have also contacted the company and told them to give me a refund and that I was going to report them to better business
#121937

Yes, this exact same thing happened to me and when I called to complain the lady I spoke to said it was clearly stated that I would be charged before I signed up. Right...whatever!!!

Bristol, Connecticut

I ordered reverse phone identification from intelius

I ordered reverse phone identification from Intelius nearly a month ago and still haven't received the info you promised to me and I paid for it. Get me the info or give me back my money. I am ready to go to the better business bureau. people are calling him on his cell phone and I need to know who they are. I paid for this information using a credit card and I want the information immediately. Get it done for me. I've had enough of companies thinking they can rip people off. Times are rough now. Shirley Humphrey shirl.h45@***.com
#120338

Once you have run a report on Intelius.com, those reports are viewable for 45 days.

You will need to login to your Intelius.com account to view the reports. Once you have logged into the account, clicked the view my reports. Click on the report tab and all the reports will be listed that you have run within the last 45 days.

Click on the view report link to view that specific report.

If you require additional assistance, please call 888-445-2727 Monday – Friday 4:30am – 10:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

Chattanooga, Tennessee

Intelius - such a scam

I went through Intelius to look up a phone number that had been used to reserve a hotel room using our company name. The web site said I would be charged .99 for limited information. I then looked up another phone number that was used for the same room reservation and again said I would be charged .99 which I agreed to and gave my company credit card again. I just received my bill I was charged .99 ten 4.49 for the second number and for Int*INPROTECT Monitor services $19.95. I just hung up the phone with a VERY rude woman that informed me that I agreed to this MONTHLY CHARGE but should would cancel at this time but Would not give me back my 19.95. Do NOT use this service!!!!

Washington, District Of Columbia
Loss

Added unauthorized charges on checking account.

I wanted to find someone and authorized the 95 cent charge. I was given the opportunity to add the additional $19.95 for protection, but I chose not to do it. The next day I notified them to cancel my membership. When I received my bank statement I noticed a pending charge for the $19.95. I called the bank and was told that I had to contact Intelius personally and they gave me the phone number. I called and was told by the representative that she would immediately cancel the charge and give me 3 months free as a courtesy. The very next day I received an E-mail thanking me for becoming a member of Intelius Identity Protection. What can I do now to get them and their charges to disappear?????
Springfield, Illinois

Intellius and like companies are contributing to Identy Theft

In this day and age of Identy Theft, why are these companies allowed to sell personnel information. It may be public information but it is on a need to know basis and the General public does not need to know. Complain to your "Congressional Leaders" immediately. Stop the madness. Why do you think Identy theft is on the rise. Pres Clinton said this would happen back in the 90's and these companies are florishing on you personal information. Other companies involved in these scams are whitpages.com,address.com. ussearch. all companies that are trying to put your information out there. My question, how and where are they are retrieving the information. I suggest a Law suit stopping them from giving personal information to third parties selling it to the public. Please someone stop them

There is a better way to handle the situation.

Did you know that although you can be sued for defamation of character which is a civil suit, you can print up glossy, UV coated fliers that state specifically "I think XYZ person/company is a member of the NAZI Party and I also believe that they are also a Grand Dragon of the Ku Klux Klan and by the way this is the opinion of John Doe/whomever". There are many places that you can purchase 5000 fliers for under $150.00.

Then you take the fliers and disseminate them in public places, telephone poles, any place where they can be seen. After the companies that are letting loose public information in the wrong way without some guidelines, see themselves in millions of locations associated with the term NAZI party or anything else grotesque, they will stop what they are doing and regulate themselves.

Yes, I am a crazy F, however tactics like this work quite well. Most of these offenders do not think there are any people with backbone to use such a tactic similar to political advertising before an election to teach these companies some manners.

intellius charged my credit card $19.95 for an unrequested membership. Can anyone tell me how to get it back?

I've also been a vitim of ID theft.

ID thieves already have easy access to info. They get it from trash cans, mailboxes, phone books, cedit cards and computer data-banks.

The good thing about these data banks is you can track if someone might be using your name and info. A common ploy is to change the letters by one, too, to make it harder for authorities to catch up.

Last year I had my garbage and stolen and mail tampered with.

I even knew, but without proof, who did it.

I called the DMV, the IRS, and Social Security. They all said the most I could do is put alerts on my bank accounts and moniter my credit (do not bother with Equifax paid monitering, outsourced to India and stinks-and their employees are not 'allowed' to give out their names! After you just toold them your entire life history!).

No government agencies are able to see if anyone is using your info for an address, work ID, or false citizenship until a crime is committed or taxes are filed.

At least with these databases you can track excess or growing amounts of people with the same name as yours, if they may have a 'business' that isn't real, or if you do a reverse search with your social and show up someplace you never lived-like I did. The authorities won't help so at least you have the opportunity to be proactive.

You can check such businesses with the BBB. If they aren't listed the BBB will contact them for info. If the business is legit, they submit info. If they don't submit info the BBB posts that, and it's a red flag.

Particularly full of unverifiable addresses/numbers and employees are real estate and mortgage services, contractors, insurance agencies, mail services (like mailboxes et cetera-which will allow a person to seemingly have a different address than the one they recieve mail at) and some law firms. Be vigilant.

I couldnt agree more.Ive been the victim of id theft and reported it to police.To make a long story short my id theft is very very complex.Id cloning,inpersonation.

What I just recieved from intelious is either part of it or a huge rip off on their part.I asked for the supplier of the information.In order to send a notice for motion of discovery/cease and desist[so that the inaccurate information isnt further disseminated.We cant do that.Her supervisor wouldnt let her do it.My next question/statement went to the effect of how supervisors and the higher ups at that company would cause many lawsuits.She agreed.The problems at the company start at the top and go down.For what its worth most of the lower employees are truly good.

Well Im off to register a complaint at my state attorney generals office.Somehow I think they regret not responding correctly.

Please report them to your attorney generals office.This is the only way to stop this ridiculiness.

View more comments (4)
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Unauthorized charges

I'm getting these emails from Intellius after using the $5 trial offer (& an additional one-time trial for futher information @ $19.95) that look like I've subscribed to something. I check my cc and there's another $19.95 a week later for something else under a slightly different name other than Intellius, I call & it's Intellius. I used their email link to write an email & then when I exist, the original email alerting me of some kind of subscription(?) disappears. I know it sounds crazy, but that's what happened. Anyway, I still trying to get my $ back. The search service was fine (altough info too old to do me any good) but they bill very agressively.

San Diego, California
Loss

Cannot access services to unsubscribe from intellius

Intellius makes it very hard to cancel the subscription which is less than a week old. Was very disappointed as results were out of date and did not narrow into the search I was looking for. I want to unsubscribe and have the 19.75 charge deleted.I had narrowed my search to a certain state and it was giving me information about another name in other states, once i reached the california information. It was of no help, all the information could not be accessed some of the numbers i was given do not even exist. I finally obtained the info from the telephone company so I had paid both intellius and the phone company. It gives you a lot of run around

Just got off the phone with Intelius, they were VERY courteous and even refunded me back a pending charge for the month of January! You catch more flies with honey...

or something like that!

Be nice people! It was my mistake for not reading the fine print and they ended up being really helpful!

There is no cancel button on the site. I confirmed this with your customer support representative.

View more comments (2)